According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 142,672 people in the United States were diagnosed with colon cancer in 2007, out of which 53,219 people died of the disease. The CDC states that colon cancer is the second leading cause of cancer related deaths in the United States. Initial constipation, which turns into diverticulitis, may ultimately lead to colon cancer. In order to avoid this, one must opt for colonic treatment at the right time.
Which is the Most Effective Method of Colonic Treatment?
There are several methods of colonic treatment through which colon can be cleansed of accumulated waste. These are:
- Colon hydrotherapy: This is the most effective and preferred method of colon cleansing. The practitioner inserts a tube into the anus, through which about 5-10 gallons of water is flushed into the colon. The process forces the removal of the compacted matter from the large intestines and also helps the body get rid of all toxins.
- Laxatives: Laxatives form a part of symptomatic treatment for constipation. Although many doctors recommend this procedure in special conditions, its recurring use may lead to dehydration.
- Diet and herbal supplements: Colon cleansing can also be performed at home by following a special diet and consuming herbal tea or supplements. However, this method is not as efficient as colon irrigation, and may not remove toxins from the body. Still, since these are natural products, they do not cause any side-effects and actually do help to a certain extent.
- Enemas: Enemas can also be used safely to cleanse the colon, but they are effective for only the lowest part of the colon. The rest of the debris and toxins still remain intact in the upper colon.
- Oxygen based cleanser: In this method, compacted fecal matter is melted through an oxidation process. Although it is an effective process to cleanse the colon, it may not suit people with some types of health conditions.
Based on the above discussion, it can be inferred that every colonic treatment method has its own advantages and disadvantages. However, many practitioners credit colon hydrotherapy as the safest method for colon cleansing. This method can also be combined with herbal treatment methods afterwards to prolong its effect.
Colonic Treatment: How to Prepare Your Body for Colon Irrigation
Before going for water based colonic treatment, you need to prepare your body to achieve the maximum benefit.
- Put yourself on a diet of vegetables and fruits for at least 2-3 days before the treatment.
- Drink plenty of water and juices.
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke at least a week before you go for the treatment.
- If possible, try not eating non-vegetarian food.
- Refrain from eating 3-4 hours before the colon hydrotherapy.
All the aforementioned tips should also be practiced after the treatment. If followed closely, they can help to keep your colon clean and healthy forever.